Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Kids today ...

... are amazingly savvy! I had the honor of being invited to the Harker School to speak about bullying and body image with 3rd, 4th, and 5th graders on March 27th. I know that 80% of 4th grade girls have been on a fad diet, and that bullying is a major issue for young people, but I was amazed at how open, honest, and real these children were when discussing these issues with me (and the counselors who were there as well). It's never too early to start talking to kids about these things, because they're seeing it in the media all over the place, and they want to discuss their feelings and be reassured by the adults in their lives.

After the talks, Geri and I participated in a National Singalong celebrating music in schools and were presented with a petition to be passed along to the MENC. A wonderful day.





But my day wasn't over yet. After the school day, I headed up to Bryn Athyn, PA, where I participated in a Gala Fundraiser for Cairnwood, a historic (and incredibly BEAUTIFUL) home. There was a roaring 20s theme, so flappers, gangsters, Gatsbys, and silent movie stars were all over the place. Lots of funds raised for restoration, as every single item (decorations, food, drink, etc.) was donated for the cause.

No comments: