Sunday, November 9, 2008

Cars.

Last week I was busy with appearances all over the state. I'm getting such an education about New Jersey - I'm going from north to south, west to east, and meeting so many great people along the way. I'm even getting good at directions and driving without my GPS (amazing!!). I'm so lucky for this chance and reason to explore my great state further.

On Wednesday, I appeared at a convention in Atlantic City with our sponsor Carpet Showcase. I signed pictures and got to talk with educators and administrators from public schools throughout the state.

It was such a huge event, I wasn't surprised I managed to miss my old BOE, but I did meet members of the BOE for my husband's alma mater. I haven't been to Atlantic City in years - I found it so vibrant and alive - they've done lots of great work refurbishing and doing new construction. The hubby and I are planning a long weekend getaway down there real soon - if we can find a long weekend we both have off from work!

Friday I had the honor of appearing in an amazing Halloween Parade. This parade is the second-largest Halloween parade in the country, with thousands of participants and over 100,000 spectators in person and on television and the Internet.

Geri drove me in a sweet Ford Mustang loaned to us by Downs Ford, and Pablo played "the navigator" in the passenger seat. So much fun interacting with the crowd along the route, and I loved having my "Mr. New Jersey" along for the ride.

The next day the Mrs. New Jersey America Organization participated in a fundraiser for Komen for the Cure. This is a national event hosted by BMW in which every mile test driven during "Drive for the Cure" raises $1 for breast cancer research, education, screening and treatment. I was there with Geri Watson (Mrs. New Jersey America 2003, 3rd RU at Mrs. America, and the Mrs. New Jersey America Organization Director), Christina Rak-Samson (Mrs. New Jersey 2006), Anita (Mrs. Middlesex County), Darlene (Mrs. Monmouth County), and Christina (Mrs. Atlantic County). We had a great time driving the cars for the cure, and were so moved by the stories of the survivors we heard that day.

Today I'm off to a 2009 contestant informational meeting - I'm going to see Juli (Mrs. Bergen County) and Dawn (Mrs. Ocean County). It's so much fun to get to know the amazing women that are a part of our organization. I remember that first meeting I went to, how nervous and unsure I was. Geri and the other ladies made this "new girl" feel right at home. I'm so glad I made that choice and got involved with the Mrs. New Jersey America family - it's an experience to last a lifetime.

No comments: